Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Kitchen Remodel Part I

So you want to remodel your kitchen? You think it's a pretty good idea, right? Especially since your house was built in the 1950s, and the cabinets are all original. Not only does your kitchen not function well (there's no lazy susan or upper corner cabinet, so the corners are unusable space), it's also hideous. The shelves in the cabinets are too close together, so modern products don't fit standing up. The sink is WHITE acrylic, so it absorbs everything and is constantly stained and filthy looking. The microwave takes up half of the the already-limted counter top, and the fridge is tiny.  Oh, and the cabinets have about six inches of nasty tan PAINT on them, and the "accent" color is officially called "Baby Poo."

Basically, your kitchen looks like this:



No? It doesn't? Your kitchen is actually awesome? So it's just me? Well, this is likely not going to interest you then. Because this post is all about how I'm in the midst of remodeling my kitchen on the smallest of budgets.

Kind of. Actually, that post will be forthcoming. Like when I'm actually done remodeling my kitchen. Right now, it's a giant mess, so I will not be posting photos of my kitchen looking like a giant mess.

This post is about how I've been so busy with this remodel, that I've basically done nothing else with my life. Like, my play is still largely unedited. I haven't hung out with friends in a month. I keep getting sick because I'm running myself ragged. Plus, my DVR is so full of things I need to watch, I don't know if I'll ever catch up! (I'm just kidding about that...I've been pretty good about the important things, like making sure I'm totally caught up on Parks and Rec and Intelligence--and of course, I've watched the Golden Globes and SAG Awards. I'm just in the middle of a remodel; I'm not a monster!)

So, to sum up--my kitchen was hideous and in desperate need of a face lift. I promise I will write a full post some day about everything we did (since we mostly did this ourselves...and by "we mostly did this ourselves," I mean my dad did almost everything) and approximately how much it cost us. I would just like to prove to HGTV that it does not take $75,000 to redo a kitchen. Our remodel was probably closer to $5,000-$7,000--including all new counter tops, appliances, and cabinets. So Hilary Farr can take her $95,000 budget and barely finish one room, and I will scoff at her. And then snot will come out of my face because I've had a sinus infection for the last three months.

But life is good!

1 comment:

  1. I believe our kitchens should always be a part of modernizing our homes. It can be done in so many ways, be it simple or extravagant. You can just shift the furniture and things in there, or you can go all out and do a total makeover of it. In any way, do what will satisfy you, right? Thanks for sharing that, Lindsay! I wish you all the best!

    Essie Reed @ Valley home Improvement

    ReplyDelete