Thursday, June 20, 2013

The One With The Routine

I would like to hear about your personal life. Not in a creepy way...just in a curious way. I wanted to just take a poll informally through a Facebook status, but I felt it needed a little more background. So a blog post it is.

The question: Do you have a morning routine of getting ready? And how strict is it?

Are you someone who accomplishes all your morning tasks within the same minute every morning, or does it not matter the order or timing, as long as everything gets done.

I never thought much about this--at all, really--until Brett and I were married and began sharing a tiny bathroom in a tiny apartment. At first, I was unemployed, so he could get ready however he wanted, and I stayed out of the way. Once I started working, we both had to leave the house and be at work by 8:00 a.m. This meant we had to work out some sort of schedule so we could both shower, brush our teeth over the tiny, pedestal sink; he needed the mirror to shave, I needed it to put on make up and fix my hair. Our mirror was about two square feet, so sharing it was basically like playing a game of Twister, while I was holding a 430* curling iron and Brett was spitting toothpaste on the back of my neck. It did not go well.

Brett is the kind of person who gets ready in the exact same order every day. He knows at what minute he needs to be putting in his contacts, brushing his teeth, packing his lunch...it's practically a science. I know that I need to shower, get dressed, put on make up, put in contacts, brush my teeth, fix my hair, pack a lunch, find shoes, and pack my purse. But the order doesn't really matter.

Growing up, Karen and I shared a bathroom. We had to be flexible (ha...okay...by flexible, I mean one of us would lock the bathroom door while the other would stand out side obnoxiously pounding on the door until the other let us in), but most days, it was fine. I would eat breakfast while she showered. If she took a long shower, I'd get dressed before putting on make up. If she overslept, I'd do everything that needed a sink and mirror first, then eat and get dressed in my room after. There was very little semblance to a routine for either of us. Then for five or so years after Karen left for college, I had my own bathroom, and I lived in chaos.

I tell Brett this, and it makes his mind explode. He can't imagine the kind of anarchy that ensues while I get ready in the morning, now that he works at seven (and leaves while I'm still sleeping) and I don't work until eight. To him, it's complete madness.

I shared this over Father's Day weekend with my family, and my cousin pointed out, "That's because you're a creative person." She too has a morning routine. She works in accounting; Brett does payroll. Both of those math jobs make my eyeballs hurt just thinking about the amount of numbers they see in a day.

So, friends (other creative friends...help me out here!), is it just me? What kind of person do you consider yourself? Are you a creative soul with no structure? Or are you an analytic thinker who likes routine and order?

No comments:

Post a Comment