Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Prison Break--A Revisiting

I'm currently revisiting my obsession with Prison Break on Netflix. The show began in 2005, when I was in high school, and I watched it faithfully for the first two seasons--hopelessly obsessed with leading character Michael Schofield (Hello, Wentworth Miller. You are beautiful. I don't care if you can't act. You can stare piercingly at me all day with that pouty scowl and intense jaw acting). Season 3 was weird, and the plot sort of fell apart for me. I tuned in later in Season 4 (where the plot was even worse), as I knew the show was ending. And then I cried a lot when it was over.

***This blog may reveal spoilers about the show. You've been warned. If you have not seen Prison Break (at least Season 1), you should watch it. If you have not, and you don't want some spoilers about a show that ended three years ago, you should stop reading this post.

The ending of the show was poetic, I suppose. The director himself explained that it had to be that way, despite the obvious pain for the viewers. You want the hero (the beloved Michael Scofield) to succeed because he is clearly the "good guy," despite the entire plot that has him breaking the law. The man struggles with the guilt of his actions repeatedly--and in a way, we can't help but see it coming. Michael must pay the consequences.

There are so many blatant similarities between Prison Break and AMC's No. 1 movie of all time The Shawshank Redemption. And I think many viewers, myself included, would have liked a little more Shawshank in our resolution--the heroes fading into the sunset on a beach, happily ever after. (Oops, Shawshank spoiler. But if you didn't know that one, I can't help you.)

Prison Break fans want so badly for Michael and dear Dr. Sara to be together. Their relationship (especially in Season 1) is both heartbreaking and beautiful. Their extending staring into each others' eyes--however cliched--is still TV magic (after Michael saved her during a prison riot, when he kisses her for the first time in her office and she doesn't get mad--just wait for him Sara!).

I guess in the end, it is the right ending. The show is about self sacrifice--especially Michael's--to save others. And that's what he gets.

But the rest of feel like we're getting our toes cut off with pruning shears.

2 comments:

  1. actually wentworth can act and does it pretty well. He is an actor not a model !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude can be a card-carrying member of the SAG, doesn't mean he can act.

      Delete