Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Midnight Adventure

One Saturday night in June, Brett and I were chilling in our basement (literally, it's the only place to cool off in our house in the summer. It can be 90* upstairs, but the basement is a chill 35). We were watching Parks and Recreation for about three or four straight hours. We had a last minute invitation to a friend's bonfire, but decided not to go. I wanted an adventure instead.

So we went on a walk, and ended up by the high school. For weeks, I'd been bugging Brett about wanting to flop around on the giant pole vaulting landing mat, because I imagined it a plush, heavenly cushion. But when I jumped up, it really wasn't that soft, and it was most definitely soaked with standing puddles of water. I bounced a few times and gave up. Big time disappointment.

We continued walking behind the bleachers at the football field, and I said, "I've never been on the field. We should go!"

So we wandered around until we found the opening in the fence and walked onto the field. Moments after we crossed the track into the grass, we heard sirens on a nearby side street. Convinced the cops were coming for us (we were probably acting more shady than our sinister plan to walk on the field really was, but people who live around the high school are pretty quick to call the cops on vandals...we didn't want to chance it). We ran to centerfield, snapped this quick photo, and bolted.
 

We sprinted down two side streets and then walked home--panting, sweating, and laughing. It was a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment