Monday, April 22, 2013

You Always Have Words

You always have words.

Someone told me this once, though I can't remember who. My grandmother maybe, it sounds like something she may have penned in a letter once. Or a college professor when I was slumped in her office, going through a particularly trying day. Or a friend who feels just as deeply as I do, but whose strength doesn't lie in writing the words. 

It was in the context of a tough situation. The phrase was: You're lucky. No matter what you're going through, no matter how difficult to process, you always have words. 

But then weeks like last week happen. People do things that can't be explained. Other people--heroes--rise up and bring hope. There is so much to say. So many things to feel. Feelings that lack proper names and descriptions. 

Emotions without epithet. Sentiment without sobriquet. 

Sometimes there are no words.

No comments:

Post a Comment