Tuesday, March 5, 2013

One of these days

There are days that I wake up late, stunned and scrambled. I can't find matching socks. I don't own a single shirt that matches any of my pants. I'm darting between bathroom and bedroom, forgetting one thing in each room on every trip. I brush my eye with the mascara wand. My elbow meets the doorway with a painful thud. There is only one pair of shoes in my entire closet that will work with my outfit and I can only find the left one. I spit toothpaste on my scarf. My sleeve is dipped in milk. My cell phone is missing, and I leave my wedding ring on the bathroom counter, so my ring finger feels scandously naked all day.

And then there are days like yesterday. I get up with Brett and eat a grapefruit on the couch while watching M.A. Rosco and the entire Fox 9 crew make fools of morning television. I shower and dress in an outfit I picked out last week. My makeup goes on smoothly, and my hair combs straight. My shoes, phone, and elbow all cooperate. I pack a healthy lunch (with mid-morning snack included) and gather my things for the day. I make it to work 15 minutes early, despite the snow. Our technology coordinator emails me in the morning that my new 24" monitor has arrived and he's ready to hook it up. My desk is (mostly) organized, my postcards are off to the printer, and my meeting with my boss goes well. She compliments my scarf.

I have an important client meeting tomorrow in Mankato. Let's hope for a good day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment