Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Words

Words fascinate me. Of course that's general idea is why I became an English major. But deeper than that, words as art fascinate me. 

When I was in Jr. High, and maybe even younger, I used to make collages out of magazines. But unlike my sister and my friends who did this with pictures, I mostly used words. Not just quotes, but single words. I would choose powerful words: love, hate, grow, fascinate, symbol, inspire. Or interesting words: irrefutable, commemorate, swelter--words that use every part of your mouth to say, and every part of your mind to imagine. 

I would take these words and arrange them in patterns and shapes on notebooks, poster boards, and my bedroom walls. I would look at these words and simply enjoy them. Enjoy their shape, their sound, and the powerful meanings of each word.

As technology has advanced, I haven't had to use magazine cutouts to make beautiful collages. I can now plug my favorite words into Wordle and get a fantastic image. I recently decided to use all of the words from my blog to create a Wordle, just to see what I write about the most. 

Enjoy my words:



No comments:

Post a Comment