Friday, November 18, 2011

A Great Many Things

I’m a wife, a sister, a friend, a daughter, a granddaughter, a niece, and a cousin.
I’m a writer, an editor, a coach, a director, and a blogger.
I’m a slob, a procrastinator, a pack rat, and a sleep talker.
I’ve wanted to be a gymnast, an inventor, an aunt, an author, a barista, a doctor, an event planner, a bartender, an actor, an FBI agent, a lawyer, and a stay-at-home mom.
I can’t dance, I love to swim, I can’t keep a clean house, I’m awesome at remembering names, and I’ve always wanted to own my own business, but I don’t have any skills that I could market.

There’s a line in Little Women that I’ve been pondering for the last few weeks. Jo makes a sound, logical argument to Mr. Mayer on why women should vote.

Mr. Mayer then says: You should have been a lawyer, Miss March.
And Jo replies: I should have been a great many things.

I should have been a great many things.

Maybe not professionally, or even often, but I enjoy the many things I do. I am a great many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment