Thursday, November 11, 2010

Response to Cigarette Warning Label Campaign

During this morning's news, I saw a story about the new labels that are going on packs of cigarettes, complete with horrifying photos and warnings that "Cigarettes can kill you!" (Here's a link to the story: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20022483-10391704.html)

I hate cigarettes. The smell, the smoke, the danger, and the cancer. All the money that is poured into this horrible, life-threatening industry and product makes me sick. We could cure world hunger and homelessness with all the money spent on tobacco products. Such good could be done with this money; instead, only repeated, addictive destruction. Ending smoking forever would do nothing but good for the human race.

However, like prohibition, ending tobacco use permanently is neither realistic nor probable. I'm not naive enough to think this will happen in my lifetime, or ever. So what do I think of this new photo campaign? I think it's a waste. Of course, it's possible it could deter "potential" young smokers from picking up the habit, but it will do little to nothing to help career smokers quit.

Does the federal government really think that smokers are unaware of the dangers? That those who are so severely addicted to the habit are going to be shocked by the news that "smoking could kill!" them? People who smoke know they are destroying their lungs, heart, and mouth. In fact, most of the smokers I've met are always "trying to quit."

So what if the government, instead of this "scary photo" campaign, threw money into free quitting campaigns. I know there are resources out there, but do they work? Why not? How could they be more successful? I don't believe that scaring someone into a lifestyle change is really the best motivation. It could be effective, but it could just stir the pot and create more ill feelings between the government and smokers.

But as the Shaman says, "We shall see."

No comments:

Post a Comment